This resource is designed as a fun way to practice decoding Long Vowel Teams & Diphthongs words and is also great for building visual literacy (actually recognising what the picture is!)
Children read the word then find the picture and colour. If they are not sure what the picture is, encourage them to leave it to the end for process of elimination.
- The first 12 pages are all one sound, focusing on the alternative spellings for that sound
- Long a – ai, ay, a_e
- Long e – ee, ea, ey
- Long i – igh, ie, i_e
- Long o – ow, oa, o_e, oe
- Long u (yoo) – u_e, ew, ue
- Long u (oo) – oo, ew, ui, u_e
- oi sound – oi, oy
- or sound – or, al, aw
- er sound – er, ir, ur
- ow sound – ou, ow
- air sound – air, ear, are
- ar sound – ar, al
- The next 8 pages each have a mix of the sounds above. They are different words used from the pages above (or if the same word is used a different picture is shown) e_e is also used through these pages.
All words are decodable and all Australian State Fonts are included!! Please note that there are some words marked with a star. These words are decodable but have a consonant that is not making its ‘traditional’ sound (g in germ saying j).
If you love these make sure you check out the GROWING BUNDLE which is full of decodable word versions and makes it so easy to differentiate!!
* Some words included in this pack may be different based on accent and also the phonics program that you use. For example, here and fire are both included in this set and can be taught in some phonics programs as one sound.
* There is a separate file included with the US spelling of color
Please note that this is a DIGITAL download and that no physical product will be delivered. You can access your download via your email or your My Account section
Printables | Decodable | Phonics | Long Vowel Teams | Diagraphs | Diphthongs | Other Vowels | CVCe Words